As you might have read on the organization's website, Catalyst Foundation conducts an Aid Expedition every-other-year. After toying with the idea for a couple of months, I applied for the 2008 Aid Expeidtion in August 2007. I learned in September 2007 that I had been accepted for the trip, but I don't think that reality set in until I began soliciting funds and in-kind donations for the Expedition. (By way of background, each volunteer is required to raise a minimum of $1,000 towards the cost of our Expedition projects. Volunteers are also responsible for their own airfare, meals, and lodging costs. Finally, volunteers are asked to collect as many "in-kind" donations -- clothes, small toys, medicine, etc. -- as possible.)
I sent out my first email requesting contributions on January 8, 2008. I "hit up" everyone I could think of -- family members, friends, colleagues, and neighbors -- and the generous responses were overwhelming! In two short months, your amazing contributions to the Expedition have included:
* Donations to Catalyst Foundation totalling $2,660!
* Four large boxes of in-kind donations (clothes, toys, crayons, children's medicines, toiletries, etc.)......with more still coming in!
* Incredible donations to help defray my travel costs!
Thank you so much for your generosity. It means a lot to me and will mean so very much to the children we'll be serving in Vietnam.