I skipped dinner with the group tonight -- you can only look at so much steamed squid, eyeball and all -- so that I could update things here a bit. (Plus, I figure I can live on the granola bars that are in my suitcase for at least a couple of days!)
Anyway, I wanted to finish up about Sunday, before it all blends in to Monday in my mind....
Once we landed in Rach Gia, we headed to the school that Catalyst built for the girls livinging in the Rach Gia garbage dump. (As an aside, my understanding is that the majority of the girls who attend the school have been victims of sexual abuse and human trafficking, most of which is difficult to even comprehend. These girls are as young as 4 years old when they are victimized. Catalyst staffs the school with 3 teachers and a principal. The cost of running the school -- staff and operation -- is $8,000 per year.) At that point, we met up with the volunteers who had traveled from other locations in Vietnam and finished sorting the donations. (Medicine had to be re-packaged, clothes sorted, etc.) After a quick lunch, we started our work at the school.
Before getting in to my afternoon, however, I want to mention that another team -- the home construction team -- is doing incredible things in the unimaginable mid-day heat here in Rach Gia. They work unbelievably hard and are to be commended. The food distribution team has likewise been working hard.
But, from my perspective, it's on to the medical team....
We set up shop at the school We had several stations -- registration, height, weight, vision screening, dental (exam and flouride), nursing, and, when necessary, physician exams. My job, thus far, has been measuring the height of each individual who comes in.
It has been incredibly hot while we work. (I don't know what this converts to, but it was 48 degrees celcius at 7:30 a.m. on Sunday.) Some of the individuals we saw walked 2.5 hours to get to us.....it's incredible. (I've noticed that I use that word -- incredible -- a lot in my posts. I can't help it.....that's what much of this is.)
We saw 72 individuals in the course of 3 hours Sunday afternoon. Although that pace is much slower than what we need to keep the rest of the week, it was a good start, particularly given that we weren't expecting to see any "patients" on Sunday......it was supposed to be our planning day, when we figured out how to set up. Instead, it was baptism by fire!
A few comments on accomodations here in Rach Gia.... The geckos are everywhere. I'm sharing a room with Kathy. We ultimately slept with the light on because there was a HUGE gecko in our room, and it kept "chirping". The light kept it quiet......it also kept me from imaging it scurrying across my bed!