Sunday was camp day. We spent the morning and early afternoon hours on a beach along the South China Sea, playing games and making crafts with the kids. Then we all went swimming in the sea. (And we were introduced to sea lice, which I'm told were killed when we later jumped into a (hopefully) chlorinated pool. Keeping my fingers crossed.)
It was difficult to keep track of all the children, but somehow we apparently finished the day with as many as we started with. (Whew!) I wish those kids could play like that ever day, instead of going home to struggle for food and an utter lack of clean water. For a day though, it was wonderful.
I'm told that the kids were up all night practicing flushing the toilets in their rooms.....and that they each took several showers throughout the day on Sunday! They seemed so "normal" that it's difficult to imagine all that they deal with on a typical day.
After dinner with the kids, we had a talent show. (Focus on "show", not on "talent"!) I was sitting with a group of girls from Dong Thap province, including a young woman who spoke just enough English to tell me that she's 17 years old. At one point during a skit, I heard a simple "Happy" come from behind me. I turned around and saw the girl with a huge smile on her face. If she was happy, well then that was good enough for me.
The medical team, including me, got up to do a quick silly skit that we put together during dinner an hour earlier. We were, of course, totally embarassed as we sang an adapted version of "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" while doing a kick-line. I learned later that the Vietnamese emcee asked the kids if they recognized us and the response from the crowd -- which included all kids we had seen throughout the week in the various provincial clinics -- was "Yes, they are the ones who love us." What an amazing feeling......I couldn't ask for more from this trip.