I'm posting from an open-air internet "cafe" at our last official overnight stop in Vietnam. I've lost track.....I think this is our 7th hotel. (The computer is fickle.....it doesn't insert spaces and won't let me actually view my blog, so I'm not sure how readable this will be.)
Anyway, having had no internet connection at our last stop, I've got some catching up to do!
We had our last clinic day on Saturday. We worked only half of the day, seeing approximately 85 girls, including those from the Little Rose Warm Shelter. This are amazing children and young women. My understanding is that the Shelter (which includes counseling and a school) is run by a public welfare agency in Saigon. Catalyst has worked to get several of "its" own girls into the program. Right now, there are approximately 45 Catalyst girls at the Shelter, and those are the girls we saw Saturday morning.
The Little Rose girls are all victims of human trafficking who have been recovered and/or victims of sexual abuse in their own home towns. Although I heard stories of human trafficking throughout our trip, seeing these girls face to face brought much of it home. Victims of human trafficking are as young as four years old. In Kien Giang, the young girls are brought out to a shack at the entrance of the garbage dump while their parents are at work in the dump. (Adults work during the day, when the sun is hottest. Children work at night.) The girls are raped -- those who scream are sent back to the dump (too assertive) and those who don't are taken. It's a horrible story, but I think it's one that needs to be told. Catalyst and its partnering organizations are teaching these girls how to scream -- both literally and figuratively -- and how to break the cycle of poverty in their lives.
Seeing these girls smiling with their peers at the clinic was amazing. Some of the older girls seem so confident and self-aware, which demonstrates the positive effect that the Little Rose shelter, school, and counseling are having on their lives. (The girls are generally at the shelter for one year. Then they are followed with counseling for another three months. The goal of the program is to either reunite the children with their families or relocate them. Older girls often "graduate" and then move in together, providing themselves with a support system.)
We also saw several of Catalyst's scholarship girls. In Vietnam, public school is "free" -- but not really. School may be free, but kids can only go if they can afford uniforms, books, and the fee for teachers. Catalyst searches out motivated children from their neediest areas and provides scholarships with donated funds. These girls look wonderful and I encourage anyone out there who is interested to get onto Catalyst's website and contribute to the scholarship program.
Better post this in case I lose my connection!