Wow.....what a day!!!
The biking team met at 5 a.m. to start the long trek from Dong Thap to Saigon. There were 7 riders for 6 bikes. In the van that followed us (and then went ahead to find places to rest), we had a driver, a bicycle repairman, an ER nurse from our Catalyst team, a photographer/cheerleader from our Catalyst team, and the extra rider, who would rotate in when we took breaks.
We hit the road around 5:20 a.m. It was absolutely surreal to be riding out on the streets of Vietnam before the sun came up. The sun did come up, however, and it got HOT! We took breaks every 10 'ish miles to reload water bottles into our pockets, to inhale a couple of granola bars, and to use the "facilities". (We'll call them "rustic" and I'll just skip the color commentary!)
Admittedly, I didn't see much of the countryside, because I was focussed on the road. There's more traffic in the region south of Saigon than I would have expected, but that's probably because we were on one of the few main roads. I've never consumed so much water in my life -- Catherine, the ER nurse, made sure we were well-hydrated. We stopped for a very nice lunch somewhere around the 60 mile mark, which was a great break.
Things got dicey shortly after the lunch break. Traffic started getting very heavy once we hit the Saigon city limits, probably about 2 hours before the end of our ride. (Saigon, with its more than 10 million people, is huge.) The last hour was just plain scary. I've seen Saigon traffic before -- when we were here in 2001 -- but never from a bicycle. Rather, it was always from the safety of a sidewalk or cab. We hit Saigon at 5 p.m., right at the start of rush hour. It was simply amazing. We wove in and out of motorbikes, and, to a lesser extent, cars and buses as well. Somehow, the six of us stayed together and made it to the end in one piece. (All seven riders were great about that -- supported one another (as did Catherine and our cheerleader, Sandy) and worked to stay together as a group.)
Today was extraordinarily challenging, but I'm so happy that I did it. For goodness sakes, how many people can say they've ridden a bike 100 miles (yes, I rode all 100 miles.....once I hit 60, I didn't want to get into the van!), ending with a trip through the incredible rush-hour traffic of Saigon, where the only rule of the road is that you shouldn't get hit.....or hit anyone else. Other than that, it's one big game of Frogger.
Time to find some food.....100 miles on a bike can make a girl hungry. (And sore.....I'll need to spend the plane ride home standing up!)